Sunday, October 12, 2014. Start: 10:15 a.m.
- Event is capped at 1,300. Register early to avoid disappointment.
- Route: 1.25 km. Starts on Menzies just off Kingston, on the west side of the Legislative Buildings, where the Marathon and Half Marathon start. The route proceeds down Menzies, then right on Superior, right on Montreal (watch out for the curb), right on Kingston, and right into the parking lot at the driveway on Kingston (before Menzies). Participants will continue through the finish line into a corral in the parking lot off Kingston and Menzies.
- Kids Run Course Map
- 2013 Kids Run Finisher Certificate (printable).
Who is the 1.25km Run For?
All kids 12 years old or younger who wish to run or walk 1.25kms. Parents can run alongside their child in the kids run; parents are not required to register.
Kids will cross the finish line off Kingston. Inflatable obstacle course and face painting will be available in the parking lot off Kingston and Menzies following the race (until approximately 11:30am). Inflatable obstacle course donated by Panorama Recreation.
What Is The Cost?
All children participating in the THRIFTY FOODS Kids Run will have their name entered in a draw for 4 age grouper bikes donated by Oak Bay Bicycles. Children must be present at the start line to win.
Schools that have 10 or more children entered in the Kids Run prior to September 26 will have their school name printed on the back of their race shirt. Schools pre-registered by Sept. 26, 2014 will have shirts with school names and packages delivered to the school team captain by Thursday, Oct. 9 for distribution at the school. Kids who registered for the school team after Sept. 26, 2014 will pick up their registration package at the Race Expo on Friday or Saturday with a Kids Run shirt without the school name.
- School Teams: The school with the most participants registered by October 9th at 12:00 noon will win $1,000 cash prize for their school (donated by TBC).
- Sign up your school for the Thrifty Foods Kids Run School Challenge!
Where Do We Pick Up Our Shirts And Goody Bags?
You can pick up your child's shirt, race number and goody bag at the Victoria Marathon Race Expo held at the Victoria Conference Centre on Friday, Oct 10 from 3:00 - 7:30 p.m. or Saturday, Oct 11 from 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. The pickup location will be inside the Expo area at the KidSport booth. Kids packages are not available on Race Day.
Can I Register On Race Day?
No. Registration ends at 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 11 at the Victoria Conference Centre.
Proceeds to KidSport
All proceeds from the THRIFTY FOODS Kids Run go to KidSport Greater Victoria, a local branch of a national and provincial organization that raises funds locally and distributes them to children of financially disadvantaged families to assist with registration fees for sport and physical activity. Funds are allocated equally to boys and girls, and to date they have assisted with registration in a variety of sports including soccer, hockey, gymnastics, karate, lacrosse, skating, football, swimming, baseball and softball. More information on our Official Charities page.
- TIP #1 - Warm up & stretch
Warm up before you start running - it's important. Run, jump, skip or hop before you start.
- TIP #2 - Increase your flexibility
Do some bending, stretching, reaching and climbing during the day to increase your flexibility and help your body move more easily.
- TIP #3 - Consistency is key
Be consistent, building up your running slowly over several weeks and months.
- TIP #4 - Tie your shoes
Properly laced up running shoes help to protect your feet.
- TIP #5 - Rest and recover.
Sleep, rest and recovery between runs is very important for your body to repair and get ready for the next run.
- TIP #6 - Drink plenty of water.
Drink lots of water; eating fruit and vegetables during the day gives the body energy to help you run faster.
For more information contact the office at 250-658-4520 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org