Our Marathon Weekend features four different races – Marathon (Main and Early Start), Half Marathon, 8K Road Race, and Thrifty Foods Kids Run.
This world-renowned marathon is a beautiful, seaside course with lots of mild undulations, but with a maximum elevation change of only 74 feet. An amazing race whether this is your first marathon or you are a seasoned marathoner. All participants receive a long sleeve New Balance technical shirt, finisher’s medal and certificate.
Marathon Early Start
If you are going to take over 5:30 min to complete the Marathon, then you need to start with our Early Marathon start group. The course closes at 2:00 pm so we want to make sure you get there on time!
- If you do not have the correct colour race number, you will not be allowed to start early.
- Runners with a pace faster than 7:28/km (12:01/mile), finishing the Marathon faster than 5:15, or crossing the finish line before 11:45 a.m. will be disqualified and their names will be removed from the official results. This is a safety issue – the far reaches of the course have no marshals until after 8:00 a.m.
- Be at the start by 6:00 a.m. (location: Menzies & Kingston)
- Until 7:30 a.m., participants must be on the sidewalk, obey local traffic laws and be self- sufficient as volunteer support will be limited.
- You will be escorted for the first 60-90 minutes of the Marathon by cyclists. Some of the cyclists will be stationed at critical turning points and others will cycle along with you.
- You will need your own water for the first hour.
- There will be no traffic control for the first hour, so be very careful at intersections.
The Half Marathon follows a good portion of the Marathon route and you will enjoy beautiful Victoria landmarks throughout. All participants receive a long sleeve New Balance technical shirt, finisher’s medal and certificate.
8K Road Race
The 8K Road Race is a fast paced beautiful scenic route through downtown, Beacon Hill and finishing along the ocean front. The 8K is a great distance for every participant. All participants receive a short sleeve New Balance technical shirt, a finisher’s medal and certificate!
Thrifty Foods Kids Run
The Thrifty Foods Kids Run is a 1.25 km loop. It starts on Menzies just off Kingston, on the west side of the Legislature where the Marathon and Half Marathon start. The route proceeds down Menzies, then right on Superior, right on Montreal (watch out for the curb!), right on Kingston, and right into the parking lot at the driveway on Kingston (before Menzies). Participants will continue through the finish line into a corral in the parking lot off Kingston and Menzies.
The run is open to all kids 12 years and under. Parents can run alongside their child in the kids run and are not required to register. After the run, stick around for music, snacks and special guests, in the parking lot off Kingston and Menzies.
Help us spread the word by circulating our event poster. CLICK HERE to download.
- $20 entry fee (until noon Oct 3) includes a t-shirt (100% cotton), race number and a medal!
- $25 entry fee (Oct 5 & 6). T-shirt not guaranteed; while supplies last. Register at the Thrifty Foods Kids Run/KidSport Victoria booth inside the GoodLife Fitness Victoria Marathon Race Expo (Victoria Conference Centre, 720 Douglas Street).
All children participating in the Thrifty Foods Kids Run will have their name entered in a draw for four bikes (one per age group) donated by Oak Bay Bicycles’ Oak Bay and Langford locations. Children must be present at the start line to win..
(Note: only public/private grade schools are eligible)
- Schools that have 10 or more children entered in the Kids Run by midnight on Sept. 23 will have their school name printed on the back of their race shirt. They will have shirts (with school names) and packages delivered to the school team captain by Wed, Oct. 3 for distribution at the school.
- Kids who registered for the school team after Sept. 23, 2018 will pick up their registration package at the Race Expo on Friday or Saturday with a Kids Run shirt without the school name.
- School Teams: The school with the most participants registered by Wed, Oct. 3 at 12:00 noon will win a $1,000 prize for their school, generously provided by Winslow Properties.
- Sign up your school for the Thrifty Foods Kids Run School Challenge by Sept. 23!
- Corporate/non-school teams that have 10 or more children entered in the Kids Run by midnight on September 23 will have their team name printed on the back of their race shirt.
- Corporate/non-school teams pre-registered by Sept. 23, 2018 will be contacted prior to Wed. Oct 3 to coordinate shirts/packages pickup details. Kids who registered for the corporate/non-school team after Sept. 23, 2018 will pick up their registration package at the Race Expo on Friday or Saturday and will receive a Kids Run shirt without the team name.
Where do we pick up our shirts and goody bags?
If you are not on a school, corporate or non-school team, you can pick up your child’s shirt, race number and goody bag at the Race Expo held at the Victoria Conference Centre on Fri, Oct. 5 from 12:00 – 6:00 p.m. or Sat, Oct. 6 from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. The pickup location will be inside the Expo area at the KidSport booth. Kids packages are not available on Race Day.
Can I register on Race Day?
No. Registration ends at 6:00 p.m. on Sat, Oct. 6 at the Victoria Conference Centre.
Proceeds to Kidsport Greater Victoria
All proceeds from the Thrifty Foods Kids Run go to KidSport Greater Victoria, a licensed local chapter of KidSport Canada. KidSport Greater Victoria is on a mission to raise and distribute dollars locally to ensure that children from financially disadvantaged families have the opportunity to participate in seasons of organized sport, So ALL Kids Can Play. To date, the organization has funded over 11,000 local children in need into sport, with over $2.5 Million in season-of-sport registration fees. www.kidsportvictoria.ca.
Race Day Information
Here is everything you need to know about Race Day including the route, start time, meeting spots and more! CLICK HERE
BC Athletics 2018 Half Marathon Championship
The BC Athletics 2018 Half Marathon Championship will be held in conjunction with the 39th Annual GoodLife Fitness Victoria Marathon on Sunday, October 8, 2018. The Half Marathon is the 12th and final race in the 2018 BC Super Series. For more information, CLICK HERE.