Our Marathon Weekend features four different races – Marathon (Main and Early Start), Half Marathon, 8K Road Race, and Thrifty Foods Kids Run.
This world-renowned marathon is a beautiful, seaside course with lots of mild undulations, but with a maximum elevation change of only 74 feet. An amazing race whether this is your first marathon or you are a seasoned marathoner. All participants receive a long sleeve New Balance technical shirt, finisher’s medal and certificate.
Marathon Early Start
If you are going to take over 5:30 min to complete the Marathon, then you need to start with our Early Marathon start group. The finish line closes at 2:30 p.m., so we want to help you get there in time!
- If you do not have the correct colour race number, you will not be allowed to start early.
- Runners with a pace faster than 7:28/km (12:01/mile), finishing the Marathon faster than 5:15, or crossing the finish line before 11:45 a.m. will be disqualified and their names will be removed from the official results. This is a safety issue – the far reaches of the course have no marshals until after 8:00 a.m.
- Be at the start by 6:00 a.m. (location: Menzies & Kingston)
- Until 7:30 a.m., participants must be on the sidewalk, obey local traffic laws and be self- sufficient as volunteer support will be limited.
- You will be escorted for the first 60-90 minutes of the Marathon by cyclists. Some of the cyclists will be stationed at critical turning points and others will cycle along with you.
- You will need your own water for the first hour.
- There will be no traffic control for the first hour, so be very careful at intersections.
The Half Marathon follows a good portion of the Marathon route and you will enjoy beautiful Victoria landmarks throughout. All participants receive a long sleeve New Balance technical shirt, finisher’s medal and certificate.
8K Road Race
The 8K Road Race is a fast paced beautiful scenic route through downtown, Beacon Hill and finishing along the ocean front. The 8K is a great distance for every participant. All participants receive a short sleeve New Balance technical shirt, a finisher’s medal and certificate!
Thrifty Foods Kids Run
A tradition in Victoria, this run is so much fun! All children 12-years-old or younger can run or walk this 1.25 km race. Parents do not have to register and can run alongside their child. All children receive a cotton t-shirt a and medal! Plus with all the Canada 150 activities that will be happening at our festival, you won’t want to miss out!
- $20 entry fee (until noon Oct 3) includes a t-shirt (100% cotton), race number and a medal!
- $25 entry fee (Oct 5 & 6). T-shirt not guaranteed; while supplies last. Register at the Thrifty Foods Kids Run/KidSport Victoria booth inside the GoodLife Fitness Victoria Marathon Race Expo (Victoria Conference Centre, 720 Douglas Street).
All children participating in the Thrifty Foods Kids Run will have their name entered in a draw for 4 age group bikes donated by Oak Bay Bicycles. Children must be present at the start line to win.
(Note: only public/private grade schools are eligible)
- Schools that have 10 or more children entered in the Kids Run by midnight on Sept. 23 will have their school name printed on the back of their race shirt. They will have shirts (with school names) and packages delivered to the school team captain by Wed, Oct. 3 for distribution at the school.
- Kids who registered for the school team after Sept. 23, 2018 will pick up their registration package at the Race Expo on Friday or Saturday with a Kids Run shirt without the school name.
- School Teams: The school with the most participants registered by Wed, Oct. 3 at 12:00 noon will win a $1,000 prize for their school, generously provided by Winslow Properties.
- Sign up your school for the Thrifty Foods Kids Run School Challenge by Sept. 23!
- Corporate/non-school teams that have 10 or more children entered in the Kids Run by midnight on September 23 will have their team name printed on the back of their race shirt.
- Corporate/non-school teams pre-registered by Sept. 23, 2018 will be contacted prior to Wed. Oct 3 to coordinate shirts/packages pickup details. Kids who registered for the corporate/non-school team after Sept. 23, 2018 will pick up their registration package at the Race Expo on Friday or Saturday and will receive a Kids Run shirt without the team name.
Where do we pick up our shirts and goody bags?
If you are not on a school, corporate or non-school team, you can pick up your child’s shirt, race number and goody bag at the Race Expo held at the Victoria Conference Centre on Fri, Oct. 5 from 12:00 – 6:00 p.m. or Sat, Oct. 6 from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. The pickup location will be inside the Expo area at the KidSport booth. Kids packages are not available on Race Day.
Can I register on Race Day?
No. Registration ends at 6:00 p.m. on Sat, Oct. 6 at the Victoria Conference Centre.
Proceeds to Kidsport Greater Victoria
All proceeds from the Thrifty Foods Kids Run go to KidSport Greater Victoria, a local branch of a national and provincial organization that raises funds locally and distributes them to children of financially disadvantaged families to assist with registration fees for sport and physical activity. Funds are allocated equally to boys and girls, and to date they have assisted with registration in a variety of sports including soccer, hockey, gymnastics, karate, lacrosse, skating, football, swimming, baseball and softball. More information on our Official Charities page.
Race Day Information
This is last year’s information but we will post 2018 Race Day info in 2018. But the information will stay very similar. Here is everything you need to know about Race Day including the route, start time, meeting spots and more! CLICK HERE
BC Athletics 2018 Marathon Championship
The BC Athletics 2018 Half Marathon Championship will be held in conjunction with the 39th Annual GoodLife Fitness Victoria Marathon on Sunday, October 8, 2018. The Half Marathon is the 12th and final race in the 2018 BC Super Series. For more information, CLICK HERE.